Telephone: 705-743-2181 ext.230
Email: Skye Jordan
Telephone: 705-743-2181 ext. 226
Email: Courtney Chartrand
Kenner Collegiate Vocational Institute (Kenner CVI) is the oldest operating public high school in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. We opened in 1952 and is now an accredited International Baccalaureate School. We are named after Peterborough Collegiate Institute's quinquagenary teacher and principal Dr. H.R.H. Kenner, father of literary scholar Hugh Kenner.
We offer a wide range of programs including the International Baccalaureate Program and Learning, Life Skills Program, Peer Reading Tutor program, Cooperative Education, Technological Education, and Arts Education. In addition, Kenner CVI offers Specialist High Skills Majors in Construction, Hospitality, Horticulture, and Transportation under the supervision of the Ministry of Education for the Province of Ontario.
The Kenner CVI campus facility consists of 200,000 square feet (20,000 m2) covering 7.13 hectares. The school is wheelchair accessible with one elevator and ramps. One section of the school is designated for the Intermediate Division.
The indoor facility contains a hairstyling studio, greenhouse, industrial kitchen, weight and fitness rooms, and technical (computer, welding, automotive, and carpentry) shops.
Kenner Collegiate was built by Eastwood Construction in 1952 with a small gym nicknamed the "broom closet" and a two story building containing approximately 16 classrooms. In 1957, another 16 classroom wing, including a sewing room, two laboratories, and a smaller gym attached to the north wing on the south side of the school was constructed. The cafeteria was upgraded and the woodworking and machine shops were added and fully functional. At this time, Kenner was seen to have transitioned to its high school status, rather than an intermediate school.
The south wing and the main gym, that could also function as an auditorium, was built in 1966 and 1967. The south wing at the time was only one story, unlike all the other wings, which were two.
The final main attachment of the school was built in 1972 and consisted of an auditorium, library, and more classrooms. It was also the area of the commercial classes. In all, the new west wing added a commercial shop, enlarged shops, a second story to the south wing, a library, and an auditorium. This expansion nearly doubled the schools size to accommodate the increasing number of students enrolling at Kenner.
In more recent years no new major attachments to the school have been made, but there have been many upgrades done within the school. In 2015 Kenner`s library was upgraded to become the Learning Commons complete with personal electronics charging stations, a lounge area, conference rooms and a computer lab. In 2016 Kenner's Hospitality Kitchen and classroom was expanded and completely redone and in 2017 Kenner's Auto and Small Engines shops were given a complete overhaul with new equipment, new cabinets, new tools, new desks chairs and technology.